Following significant weight loss due to a bariatric surgery (also known as gastric bypass surgery, lap band surgery, stomach stapling, weight loss surgery, obesity surgery), women and men often elect to have various cosmetic procedures to help them further achieve the body shape that they seek. Following significant weight loss, a person can be left with a tremendous amount of excess, hanging skin throughout many areas of the body that cannot shrink back to the person’s new body shape. Additionally, muscles may also become loose after dramatic weight loss.
Due to the lack of elasticity of the remaining skin, excessive amounts of skin can create falls of skin that hang in various areas, including the face, neck, breasts, upper and lower abdomen, flanks, back, buttocks, arms, forearms, and thighs. Beyond being physically undesirable, this excess skin can cause considerable hygienic problems, skin irritation, skin pain and infection.
Some of the cosmetic procedures that patients consider after a bariatric/gastric bypass surgery may include:
- Arm Lift/Brachioplasty to address extra skin on the upper arms, under arms or armpits
- Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty to address loose skin on the abdomen, or an extended Abdominoplasty to address extra back skin
- Breast Reduction to remove extra breast skin or tissue; or Breast Augmentation through Implants to address breasts that have experienced a loss of volume due to significant weight loss; or a Breast Lift combined with one of the other breast procedures discussed
- Facial Procedures including a Traditional Face Lift to address excess skin over the majority of the face, or a Silhouette Lift to addresses excess skin to a lesser degree; Eyelid Lift/Blepharoplasty to remove excess skin on the upper or lower eyelids; a Brow Lift to raise the skin of the forehead and brows
- A Neck Lift addresses the loose skin of the neck which oftentimes results from a significant weight loss
- Thigh Lift surgery addresses the excess skin of the upper thighs, or the full thigh to the knee
- A Full Body Lift/Belt Lipectomy is ideal for patients who have lost a significant amount of weight and are left with weak and saggy skin in areas of the buttocks, abdomen, and thighs.
While most of us would probably prefer to have all the necessary facial and body cosmetic procedures done at once, due to safety issues only 1-3 different procedures are typically performed at a time. Once all of the desired procedures are done, the cosmetic results can be extremely rewarding in physical, emotional, lifestyle, and functional respects.